Number of Text units: 2
Number of Codicological units: 1
Original Location: SÃ¤bÃ¤ya Māryām /SM ↗
1800 - 1900
19th cent. (?)
- Quire A comprises of re-utilized leaves (originally from a different Ms?) which contain the beginning of Zǝmmāre written in the main hand. The fols. are misplaced; the proper order is as follows: 3v, 3r, 2v, 2r, 1v, 1r. In 3v, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 15th, 17th, 25th and 26th line of the incipit is rubricated.
- A blank column on 72vb. It is possible that between the end of the text on 72va and the beginning of the text on 73ra (i.e., in the blank space) a text is missing since in the printed edition there is a short eight-line passage in the same place. It could be, however, that the scribe omitted it on purpose since it contains a list of common prayers.
- frame: 81va: Crude short band in black ink.
This manuscript has ancient restorations
Form of support
H: 190 x W: 145 x D: 45
(proportion height/width: 1.3103 )
- f. 83
- B(1; s.l.: 1, no stub/fol. 83).
A(3; s.l.: 1, stub after 3; 2, stub after 2; 3, stub after 1/fols. 1r-3v)
IX (7; s.l.: 4, stub after 4/fols. 68r-74v)
B(1; s.l.: 1, no stub/fol. 83).
Formula: ff. 1r-3v A(3; s.l.: 1, stub after 3; 2, stub after 2; 3, stub after 1/fols. 1r-3v) ; ff. 4r-11v I(8/fols. 4r-11v) ; ff. 12r-19v II(8/fols. 12r-19v) ; ff. 20r-27v III(8/fols. 20r-27v) ; ff. 28r-35v IV(8/fols. 28r-35v) ; ff. 36r-43v V(8/fols. 36r-43v) ; ff. 44r-51v VI(8/fols. 44r-51v) ; ff. 52r-59v VII(8/fols. 52r-59v) ; ff. 60r-67v VIII(8/fols. 60r-67v) ; ff. 68r-74v IX (7; s.l.: 4, stub after 4/fols. 68r-74v) ; ff. 75r-82v X(8/fols. 75r-82v) ; f. 83 B(1; s.l.: 1, no stub/fol. 83).;
Formula 1: 1 (), 2 (8), 3 (8), 4 (8), 5 (8), 6 (8), 7 (8), 8 (8), 9 (8), 10 (7), 11 (8), 12 (),
Formula 2: 1 (), 2 (8), 3 (8), 4 (8), 5 (8), 6 (8), 7 (8), 8 (8), 9 (8), 10 (7), 11 (8), 12 (),
State of preservation
The boards are broken and repaired. Some fols. are stained with wax and water. Some fols. are damaged by insects or rodents: fols. 6, 82 and 83. Some fols. are of a smaller size with a shorter upper margin: fols. 5, 10, 14, 17, 83. Black ink is faded on 19r-72v. Only some musical notation signs are written in brighter black. Holes carefully are amended on 63-65, crudely amended on 50.
Layout note 1
Number of columns: 2
Number of lines: 24
All data for 5r.
- Ms * has a sum of layout height of 200mm which is greater than the object height of 0mm
Layout note 2
- (Subtype: pattern) Ruling pattern: 1A-1A-1A1A/0-0/0-0/C.
- The upper line is written above the ruling.
- The bottom line is written above the ruling.
- Ruling and pricking are visible.
- Primary pricks are visible.
- Ruling pricks are clearly visible.
Ethiopic: Hand a: mediocre; hand b: fine; hand c: mediocre and careless.
- ማ፡/ማኅ፡/ማኅሌ፡ for ማኅሌት፡
- ምል፡/ምልጣ፡ for ምልጣን፡
- ም፡ for ምስባክ፡
- ምቅ፡ for ምቅናይ፡
- ምድ፡/ምድጋ፡ for ምድጋም፡
- መዝ፡/መዝሙ፡ for መዝሙር፡
- ለዓ፡ for ለዓለም፡
- ሰላ፡ for ሰላም፡
- ስብ፡/ስብሐ፡ for ስብሐተ፡ ነግህ፡
- በዜ፡ for በዜማ፡
- አርያ፡ for አርያም፡
- አቡ፡ for አቡን፡
- እስ፡ for እስመ፡
- ዋዜ፡ for ዋዜማ፡
- ይት፡/ይትባ፡/ይትባረ፡ for ይትባረክ፡
- ቅ፡/ቅንዋ፡ for ቅንዋት፡
- ሃ፡ for ሃሌሉያ፡
Repeated versicles of antiphons are sometimes written in an abbreviated form, e.g., ተ፤ ጸ፤ ው፤ ኑ፤ ሰ stands for
ተወከፍ፡ ጸሎተነ፡ ውስተ፡ ኑኃ፡ ሰማይ(15ra l. 8).
rubrication: Nomina sacra; a few lines on the incipit page of Text I-1 and on fol. 45rb; two initial lines of sections for Sundays; names of antiphons and their abbreviations followed by initial words or letters (e.g., māḥlet, mazmur, śalast, salām, ba-5-tu, ʾabun, ʾaryām, ʾǝsma la-ʿālam, kwǝllǝkkǝmu, za-ʾamlākiya, za-yǝʾǝze, yǝtbārak); names of other chants (e.g., mǝlwaṭ, mǝlṭān, mǝsbak, mǝqnāy, mǝdgam, qǝnnǝwat, ʿǝzl); musical notation signs: intratextual (e.g.,za-mä, ba-ze, ʿara, ḥage, wäy) and marginal (entire or elements); names of the categories of melody and their abbreviations (ʿǝzl, gǝʿǝz, ʾararay); red and black dot chains separating sections and groups of antiphons belonging to different liturgical hours within the same day; elements of the punctuation signs; Ethiopic numerals or their elements. Often only two or three initial letters of a word are rubricated.
Select one of the keywords listed from the record to see related data
Use the tag BetMas:ESsm005 in your public hypothes.is annotations which refer to this entity.
Suggested Citation of this record
Magdalena Krzyzanowska, Denis Nosnitsin, Pietro Maria Liuzzo, ʻGulo Maḵadā, Sabayā Māryām, SM-005ʼ, in Alessandro Bausi, ed., Die Schriftkultur des christlichen Äthiopiens und Eritreas: Eine multimediale Forschungsumgebung / Beta maṣāḥǝft (Last Modified: 10.5.2016) http://betamasaheft.eu/manuscripts/ESsm005 DOI:10.25592/BetaMasaheft.ESsm005 [Accessed: 2018-09-22+02:00]
Revisions of the data
- Pietro Maria Liuzzotransformed from mycore to TEI P5 on 10.5.2016
- Magdalena Krzyzanowskalast edited on 22.9.2014
- Magdalena Krzyzanowskacreated on 13.3.2012
- Denis Nosnitsinregistered on 13.5.2010