- Additions and Varia
- Art Themes
- Authority files (keywords)
- Bibliographic References
- Binding Description
- Create New Entry
- Critical Apparatus
- Decoration Description
- Definition of Works, Textparts and Narrative Units
- Dubious spelling
- Editing the Schema
- Editing these Guidelines
- Editions in Work Records
- Entities ID structure
- General Structure of Work Records
- Hands Description
- Identifiers Structure
- Manuscript Contents
- Manuscript Description
- Manuscript Physical Description
- Named Entities
- Narrative Units
- Object Description
- Place or Repository
- Relative Location
- Roles and roleNames
- Seals Description
- Some useful how-to for personal workspace set up
- Stand-off annotations with Hypothes.is
- Standardisation of transcription from Encyclopaedia Aethiopica
- State and Certainty
- Statements about persons
- Summary on the Use of @ref and @corresp
- Team IDs
- Text Encoding
- Transliteration Principles
- Validation process
- Works Description
- Zotero Bibliography Guidelines
- titleStmt of Manuscript Records
For any questions regarding transliteration that should arise after reading the guidelines, individual issues should be opened.
You can use this tool to update text transcribed according to the old convention to these or to enter fidal or correctly transcribed text and get the other of the two.
for Schwa - please always use ǝ (01DD, Latin Small Letter Turned E) and not ə (0259, Latin Small Letter Schwa)
for Alif - please always use ʾ (02BE), not ˀ
for Ayn – please always use ʿ (02BF), not ˁ
for č̣ - please combine out of č (010D) and ̣ (0323)
for apices use
For kʷ, gʷ, ḫʷ and qʷ using ʷ (modified w 02B7), which you find also in codetemplates.
Please transcribe name starting with aleph with aleph.
ʾƎsṭifānos and not Ǝsṭifānos
Prepositions are always separated by the following word by a hyphen:
Names containing prepositions are however, spelled as one word:
- Baḫayla Mikāʾel and not Ba-Ḫayla Mikāʾel
- Zamikāʾel ʾAragāwi (not Za-Mikāʾel ʾAragāwi)
- Naʾakkwǝto Laʾab (not La-ʾAb)
In transliterated titles (whether the title of the work record or the title of a manuscript containing the work), the first word and all proper names should be spelled with a capital, so for example Wəddāse ʾAmlāk.
Please open individual issues for particular cases that need discussing.
Standardisation of transcription from Encyclopaedia Aethiopica
all the above should be applied to transcriptions from ETHIOPIC only.
ä for first order should be changed into a
a for fourth order should be changed into ā
initial alef must be reinserted (ʾa, ʾo, ʾe, etc)
A, a (at the beginning of a word, A/a vowel occurs only here) > ʾA / ʾĀ, ʾa / ʾā depending on the order (write ʾA/ʾa when unsure)
ʿA (or ʿa) > ʿA / ʿĀ (or ʿa / ʿā) depending on the order
Ha (or ha) > Ha / Hā(or ha / hā) depending on the order
Ḥa (or ḥa) > Ḥa / Ḥā (or ḥa / ḥā) depending on the order
Ḫa (or ḫa) > Ḫa / Ḫā (or ḫa / ḫā) depending on the order
The same transcription system as that of Gǝʿǝz is applied. The orthography of the transcribed text is always followed, so for example ከወልወል፡ እስከ፡ ማይጨው፡ is transcribed as Ka-walwal ʾǝska Māyč̣aw.
Again, if you come across a case which you feel is not properly covered by the guidelines or have any doubts, please open an issue.
In general, the same transcription system as that of the EAe is applied. However, Hamzat qaṭʿ is always to be transcribed. Titles and names are transcribed without case endings:
Šarḥ sabab intiqāl mamlakat Sulaymān malik ʾIsrāʾīl ʾilā bilād an-naǧāšīya allatī hiya al-ḥabaša
If you want to transliterate a language that is not or is only partially covered by these guidelines, please be sure to:
- check whether it has already been transliterated somewhere in the project
- if so, decide whether or not you agree with the transliteration used
- open an issue describing the current state
- after eventual discussion, document the transliteration here
Please do not start to wildly transliterate without following these steps. This would inevitably lead to inconsistencies and mistakes.
This page is referred to in the following pages
Revisions of this page
- Pietro Maria Liuzzo on 2018-04-30: first version of guidelines from Wiki
- Dorothea Reule on 2018-05-17: Added paragraph on Amharic
- Dorothea Reule on 2018-05-24: Edited and added paragraph on other languages